Peter Turowski with Stephen Kelleher Architects
This project added a side addition to this 3/4 historic colonial (ca. 1814) to increase living area and provide a modern kitchen at the ground floor and master bedroom suite on the second. During the course of rehabilitation, it was discovered that the house had been constructed over time in a series of 9 additions. The original house being a 1/2 cape which possibly dated to 1787 based on evidence found on site.
The project included reinforcing much of the structure. In doing so, an additional 4” of height was gained on the first floor by removal of years of layered finishes. A historic winding stair was retained at the front of the house, with a new, modern and code compliant stair added to the rear. The owners, antique dealers by trade, had the goal to retain the historic character of this important home, while making it suitable for a modern lifestyle.